The history of the Christ Church Anglican Church in Rawdon began with the arrival of Reverend James Edmund Burton in August 1821. At that time, the Reverend ministered to the seigneury of Terrebonne as far as the townships of Rawdon and Kilkenny. In 1822, he had a wooden chapel built on lot 15 of the 1st Range (today Sainte-Julienne), which served as a place of worship as well as a school for a fast-growing Protestant population.
When, around 1836, several English-speaking Protestants settled on lot 17 of the 5th Range, the Anglican Church authorities decided to build a new church there. On February 8, 1840, they purchased by letters patent a 10-acre parcel of land that was part of lot 17 in order to build the church and its outbuildings. This second wooden church served the religious needs of the Protestant population for nearly 20 years.
In 1857, worn down by time and the elements and having become too small to accommodate the ever-growing population, the wooden church was replaced by a stone one. The Gothic-style church built of fieldstone was an innovation for its time. Its construction was completed in 1861, and the church was blessed by the Right Reverend Fulford, Anglican Bishop of Montréal.
After more than 140 years, this magnificent church located at the corner of Metcalfe Street and 3 rd Avenue still serves as a place of worship for the Anglican population of Rawdon.
The interior of the Christ Church Anglican Church