A thousand years ago...
More than a thousand years ago, this immense region was frequented by Algonquin tribes who made it their hunting and fishing territory. These nomadic hunters set up camp on the welcoming banks of the Rouge and Ouareau rivers.
With the arrival of the first settlers, however, they gradually disappeared from the region such that, by 1850, only a few descendants of these great tribes could be found. These early hunters now served as guides for early explorers and surveyors. Nowadays, their presence in these lands is only evoked by a few names still present in the Lanaudière landscape: Ouareau, Achigan, Matawin, Mascouche.
According to tradition, the white man appeared in our region around 1795 when American Loyalists settled in the first ranges of the township. However, there is no historical evidence to confirm this. What we do know is that, around 1815-1820, Irish immigrants established themselves in this newly settled area. And, around 1850, many Canadian families left the already overcrowded old parishes in the south to come and cultivate these new lands, as well.
A few groups of Scots then settled here between 1825 and 1840. And, around 1920, Polish and Russian families formed new communities and contributed to enriching this mosaic of cultures.
Thus began the history of Rawdon.